Thursday, July 1, 2010

wormholes. [181]

also known as "the scarlet worm"

“Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the LORD,

“ Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool. "
-Isaiah 1:18

So, I read this scripture yesterday during my devotion time and God showed me a few reeaallly cool things. So cool that I kinda felt the need to tell every person I came in contact with :) I would also like to share what I found with you all, so please bare with me haha.

The face value of this verse in and of itself is enough to make me want to dance!

- God begins his statement by inviting us to come and reason with him. He doesn't demand or mandate, rather pleads with us to come into conversation and relationship with him.
- God wants to (and will) take away the sin that has plagued and stained our lives and transform us into his pure and spotless bride!

But as I began to study this scripture a little more in depth, I found out that there is so much more to this statement then I ever knew.

When God says that our sin are as "scarlet" he means to communicate more than the idea of color.
-The word scarlet in Hebrew is actually shaniy. Literally, this word refers not only to the crimson color associated with blood, but a small insect commonly known as the "scarlet worm"

its a worm, big deal. right?
wrong.

let me teach you a little something about this little worm.

- When the female scarlet worm was ready to give birth to her young, she would find a tree and attach herself so firmly and permanently that she would never again be able to leave.
- Here, she would lay her eggs and they were protected until the larvae grew and were ready to enter their own life cycle.
- As her young grew, she died. And as she died, her body would secrete a scarlet fluid, covering her body, the tree, and her children.

In Psalm 22:6 Jesus says this:
"But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of man and despised of the people"

- Jesus entered this world in a human body, knowing that he would not be able to leave. He limited himself to our restrictions, stepping from the heavens into time.
- Jesus loved, taught, healed and saved as he trained up his disciples, all the while on his path to the cross.
- Jesus was nailed to a tree and gave his life so that his children would live. His blood flowed, covering the cross, covering his body, covering his children, and covering our sin.

I am in awe of the love of God.
How it streches and reaches and fights for its children.
How it is evident in every scripture, in every move of God, and even in nature.
How it acted first.
How it never fails.
How it casts out all my fear.
How it laid its perfect life down so that a worm like me could make the transformation into his beautiful child.

Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

By: Erika Opalecky

No comments:

Post a Comment